MapMyFitness is the leader in Connected Fitness – building the world’s largest community by providing interactive tools to make fitness social, simple and rewarding. Our flagship consumer brands – MapMyRun, MapMyRide, and MapMyWalk – are among the most popular apps on iOS and Android and our cloud-based platform has been supporting millions of users since we launched in 2007. MapMyFitness is an open platform, seamlessly integrating with more than 400 fitness tracking devices, sensors and wearables.
From day one our mission at MapMyFitness has been to empower active lifestyles. Through our websites and mobile applications, we allow people around the world to map, record and share their exercise routes and workouts in an online database. Our innovation has changed the way people think about their health and fitness. Now it’s commonplace for consumers to log their activity in a place where their data can tell a holistic story.
MapMyFitness is the story of two ideas colliding — MapMyRun and MapMyRide. Kevin Callahan created the original MapMyRun.com to help him map and record the runs he completed while training for his first marathon. Robin Thurston conceived MapMyRide while abroad on a cycling vacation as a means to help cyclists chart and track the rides they completed along their travels. The two joined forces to form MapMyFitness which powers more than 23 million people worldwide to live healthy and active lifestyles. MapMyFitness is a wholly owned subsidiary of Under Armour, Inc. and was acquired in November 2013 for $150M.
- February – Launch of Activity Feed increases social engagement 3X.
- January – MapMyFitness launches integration with MyFitnessPal.
- December – MapMyFitness releases redesigned iOS apps.
- November – MapMyFitness is acquired by Under Armour for $150M.
- October – MapMyFitness, Inc. celebrates 20 million members.
- September – MapMyFitness and Purina Pro Plan Announce Joint Health Initiative (dogs included)
- August – MapMyFitness and EB Brands launch SYNC activity trackers.
- July – MapMyFitness partners with Brooks Running for integrated “Rate my Run” mobile campaign.
- June – MapMyFitness passes 16 million members.
- May – MapMyRun named Best Lifestyle Mobile App in the 17th annual Webby Awards.
- April – MapMyFitness integrates with Jawbone UP.
- March – MapMyRun launches Windows Phone 8 app.
- February – Launch of MVP subscription service.
- January – MapMyFitness, Inc. reaches 13 million members.
- September – MapMyFitness, Inc. hires 90th employee.
- August – MapMyFitness, Inc. reaches 11 million members.
- August – MapMyFitness, Inc. is ranked #355 on the 2012 Inc. 500 list of Fastest Growing Companies.
- June – MapMyFitness, Inc. secures $9 million Series B funding from Austin Ventures and Milestone Venture Partners.
- May – Updated routes, personal challenges, and courses launched.
- May – MapMyFitness, Inc. reaches 9 million members.
- February – MapMyFitness app recommended by U.S. Surgeon General.
- February – MapMyRun named as one of TIME’s “50 iPhone Apps of 2012.”
- February – MapMyFitness, Inc. reaches 7 million members.
- August – MapMyRun named as one of TIME’s “Top 50 Websites of 2011″.
- February – MapMyFitness, Inc. increases staff to 50+ employees.
- January – MapMyFitness Beta websites go live – new look, easier to use and increased performance.
- September – MapMyFitness, Inc. moves headquarters from Denver to Austin.
- August – MapMyFitness, Inc. secures $5M Series A funding from Austin Ventures.
- July – MapMyRide and Versus (now NBC Sports) partner to present the 2010 Le Tour Virtual Cycling Challenge.
- July – MapMyRide and Versus (now NBC Sports) partner to present the 2009 Le Tour Virtual Cycling Challenge.
- August – Beta website redesign commences and new iPhone apps are released.
- September – Launch of New Balance iPhone app, NB Total Fit – first app fully integrated with MapMyRun.com.
- October – MapMyFitness closes $1M private placement funding to fuel continued growth of the company.
- November – Partners with the New York Road Runners (NYRR) to present Virtual Events in concert with the ING NYC Marathon.
- December – 1st Virtual Event – 26.2.
- November – MapMyRide is spotlighted by Apple in its advertising in the NY Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal. AT&T features the app in online and print advertisements.
- September – The first iPhone apps—MapMyRide and MapMyRun are launched. There are among the first 200 apps offered in the iTunes store.
- July – Premium membership offerings are launched giving users access to a variety of advanced fitness tools and site functionality.
- May – Training plans are offered to site users.
- February – MapMyRun submits Android app for competition.
- January – MapMyFitness, Inc. moves into new Denver office and hires three additional people to help grow the company.
- August – Community/Groups launch and first advertising client closed.
- July – Online Training Log, Gear Tracker and other functionality are unveiled.
- June –Event Center/Listings launch.
- April – MapMyRide.com, MapMyWalk.com, MapMyFitness.com, MapMyHike.com go live. MapMyRun.com is reintroduced.
- March – MapMyFitness hires its first digital advertising sales team member.
- January – The team secures angel seed funding and forms MapMyFitness LLC. Jeff and Kevin go to work full-time to build out the MapMyFitness network of websites.
- December – Robin, Kevin and Jeff form a partnership aimed at the further development and enhancement of MapMyRun.com and the launch of MapMyRide.com.
- August – MapMyRun is featured in INC Magazine.
- July – Kevin teams up with Jeff Kalikstein to integrate basic GPS functionality to permit the upload of routes onto MapMyRun.com.
- December – Kevin completes his 1st marathon using MapMyRun as a training tool.
- October – MapMyRun gets its first media mention.
- July – First version of the MapMyRun website goes live. The site offers users the ability to map runs, search for runs in different locales and calculate calories burned.
- May – Kevin conceives MapMyRun.