MapMyFitness powers the Internet’s largest social network of fitness enthusiasts. The MapMyFitness suite of website and mobile applications, under the MapMyRun and MapMyRide flagship products, uses built-in GPS technology to provide users worldwide with the ability to map, record and share their exercise routes and workouts in an online database. In addition, users have access to a searchable database of over 80 million global routes, online training tools, nutrition tracking, fitness calculators, event listings, and the ability to easily share their activities with friends.
MapMyFitness is the story of two ideas colliding — MapMyRun and MapMyRide. Kevin Callahan created the original MapMyRun.com to help him map and record the runs he completed while training for his first marathon. Robin Thurston conceived MapMyRide while abroad on a cycling vacation as a means to help cyclists chart and track the rides they completed along their travels. Kevin Callahan, Jeff Kalikstein, and Robin Thurston joined forces to form MapMyFitness which empowers individuals worldwide to live healthy and active lifestyles.
- May – MapMyFitness passes 16 million members.
- May – MapMyRun named Best Lifestyle Mobile App in the 17th annual Webby Awards.
- April – MapMyFitness integrates with Jawbone UP.
- March – MapMyRun launches Windows Phone 8 app.
- February – Launch of MVP subscription service.
- January – MapMyFitness, Inc. reaches 13 million members.
- September – MapMyFitness, Inc. hires 90th employee.
- August – MapMyFitness, Inc. reaches 11 million members.
- August – MapMyFitness, Inc. is ranked #355 on the 2012 Inc. 500 list of Fastest Growing Companies.
- June – MapMyFitness, Inc. secures $9 million Series B funding from Austin Ventures and Milestone Venture Partners.
- May – Updated routes, personal challenges, and courses launched.
- May - MapMyFitness, Inc. reaches 9 million members.
- February – MapMyFitness app recommended by U.S. Surgeon General.
- February – MapMyRun named as one of TIME’s “50 iPhone Apps of 2012.”
- February – MapMyFitness, Inc. reaches 7 million members.
- August – MapMyRun named as one of TIME’s “Top 50 Websites of 2011″.
- February – MapMyFitness, Inc. increases staff to 50+ employees.
- January – MapMyFitness Beta websites go live – new look, easier to use and increased performance.
- September – MapMyFitness, Inc. moves headquarters from Denver to Austin.
- August – MapMyFitness, Inc. secures $5M Series A funding from Austin Ventures.
- July – MapMyRide and Versus (now NBC Sports) partner to present the 2010 Le Tour Virtual Cycling Challenge.
- July – MapMyRide and Versus (now NBC Sports) partner to present the 2009 Le Tour Virtual Cycling Challenge.
- August – Beta website redesign commences and new iPhone apps are released.
- September – Launch of New Balance iPhone app, NB Total Fit – first app fully integrated with MapMyRun.com.
- October – MapMyFitness closes $1M private placement funding to fuel continued growth of the company.
- November – Partners with the New York Road Runners (NYRR) to present Virtual Events in concert with the ING NYC Marathon.
- December – 1st Virtual Event – 26.2.
- November – MapMyRide is spotlighted by Apple in its advertising in the NY Times, USA Today and Wall Street Journal. AT&T features the app in online and print advertisements.
- September – The first iPhone apps—MapMyRide and MapMyRun are launched. There are among the first 200 apps offered in the iTunes store.
- July – Premium membership offerings are launched giving users access to a variety of advanced fitness tools and site functionality.
- May – Training plans are offered to site users.
- February – MapMyRun submits Android app for competition.
- January – MapMyFitness, Inc. moves into new Denver office and hires three additional people to help grow the company.
- August – Community/Groups launch and first advertising client closed.
- July – Online Training Log, Gear Tracker and other functionality are unveiled.
- June –Event Center/Listings launch.
- April – MapMyRide.com, MapMyWalk.com, MapMyFitness.com, MapMyHike.com go live. MapMyRun.com is reintroduced.
- March – MapMyFitness hires its first digital advertising sales team member.
- January – The team secures angel seed funding and forms MapMyFitness LLC. Jeff and Kevin go to work full-time to build out the MapMyFitness network of websites.
- December – Robin, Kevin and Jeff form a partnership aimed at the further development and enhancement of MapMyRun.com and the launch of MapMyRide.com.
- August – MapMyRun is featured in INC Magazine.
- July – Kevin teams up with Jeff Kalikstein to integrate basic GPS functionality to permit the upload of routes onto MapMyRun.com.
- December – Kevin completes his 1st marathon using MapMyRun as a training tool.
- October – MapMyRun gets its first media mention.
- July – First version of the MapMyRun website goes live. The site offers users the ability to map runs, search for runs in different locales and calculate calories burned.
- May – Kevin conceives MapMyRun.